The internet was crazy but simply in 1997 – a few viruses, spyware was virtually non-existent. Now firewalls, spyware removal software and security fixes are their own separate section in the computer store. 9 of 10 computers are infected with spyware of some sorts. The below steps are good measures that will increase security and lower th chance of spyware infection.
- If you have suspected spyware problems, go here
- Firefox Web Browser – download
Internet Explorer uses active-x for scripting – (it can run programs, auto-install software), spyware and viruses exploit this – installing themselves on a system w/o your consent (even if one clicks “no” or “cancel” on the install dialog). Spyware creates pop-ups, slows connection, changes your home page, etc. Then use Internet Explorer for your 2-3 sites that require it.
- Spybot search and destroy – download
Free and powerful cleaner – run this weekly.
- Zonealarm free firewallÂ download or use Windows XP firewall (need service pack 2), here
- Panda software virus scan – online or purchase – download
Runs only with Internet Explorere active-x.
- Gambling sites, Pornography, Illegal/cracked software, Kazaa, Bearshare, P2P programs - how most spyware gets in.
- Download programs from the original site or a trusted site.I downloaded ad-aware spyware remover from a random site and it came with spyware. PC friendly DVD player, Kazaa music downloader, AOL 9.0, and many internet optimizers are packed with spyware. If you want the Dragonball-Z screen saver, get it from screensavers.com than a random/fake fan site.
Google the item with the word spyware in the search:
- Internet utilities – whois, nslookup, ping – centralops.net and at Spychecker.com
- Setup Apache webserver password protection here
- Verify webpage visability and performance: websiteoptimization.com